Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why kids turn out the way they do


I was given an interesting article by a family member the other day. Lord knows I am one of those parents that is always searching for the best answer or best advice to raise our son into the best he can be. The headline for the article was "DNA discoveries reveal why even the best parenting doesn't always have the results experts promise." That immediately caught my attention. The article stated in about thirty percent of children their DNA coils carry a glitch. This specific glitch is on that leaves their brains with a few dopamine receptors, molecules that act as docking ports for one of the neurochemicals that carry our thoughts and emotions. The article states that lack of these causes an inability to avoid self-destructive behavior, and children that are lacking these are unable to learn from their mistakes. It also stated in their findings that children with a sweet temperament are the least likely to emulate their parents and the lessons they teach, while fussy kids are the most likely to do so. I have a really hard time believing all of this, although some may be true, I still think that you as a parent play a crucial role in the development of your child. I can see how genetics may factor in, but I also think that you are a role model for your child. They watch everything you do and listen to everything you say. Some kids may react differently to parenting style than others, that is called personality. All us parents (especially first time ones), are looking for the perfect parenting answer and the truth is, there isn't one. A dear friend of mine who I call for advice often always has said to me "there is no right way, you just have to do what works for you." For that quote and you know who you are thank you, I remind myself of that everyday when I think I am doing something the wrong way. Here is my advice for the world..... Get up every morning and start your day fresh with your child. Do they best that you know you can everyday and remember along the way that you are human and you are going to make mistakes..... The good news is we are the only parents our children have and they don't know if what we are doing is right or wrong, and realize that you are going to learn how to be a parent along the way through trials and tribulations. Our children need love, attention, patience and understanding. If you give them this everyday the world will be a better place.

No comments: